Coolum Beach, Australia or remote.
Cultivate Communications seeks an experienced and versatile Writer and Editor to join our team. This is a full-time position for an initial period of one year, with the possibility to extend. Our ideal candidate is a natural storyteller who is able to shape narratives and communicate complex science and concepts in clear and compelling ways.
There is an option to work in our agency studio located in Coolum Beach, Australia, or online as a remote position. For applicants who plan to work from home, this position is open to those who are based in Australia, New Zealand, Pacific and Asia for time zone purposes. We seek a self-motivated professional who embodies our agency values (purpose, integrity, collaboration, learning and quality) and is motivated to support our clients’ work towards the achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
Duties and responsibilities
- Write original content for the web including blogs, news articles and feature stories.
- Transform journal articles or publications into compelling stories for non-expert audiences.
- Identify the ‘hook’ or best angle for content from large research projects, tailored for particular audiences and campaigns.
- Interview scientists, researchers and leaders for quotes and background information.
- Write content for annual reports including impact stories.
- Support media engagement by writing opinion pieces for high profile individuals.
- Draft press releases and media alerts.
- Write science-based content including:
- Fact sheets
- Support the drafting of scripts for videos and animations.
- Edit various publications and documents including reports and publications, following style guides.
- Five years or more years experience as a writer, journalist or in a communications position.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in communications, marketing or journalism.
- Must have an understanding of, and experience writing content about, international development, sustainability or agricultural research.
- An understanding of how written content pieces fit within the broader landscape of communications outreach including social media, media engagement, website and digital marketing is a significant advantage.
- Native or equivalent written and spoken English.
Personal attributes and
- Pays great attention to detail.
- Creative thinker.
- Excellent time management skills and able to meet deadlines.
- Reliable and self-motivated.
- A team player with outstanding interpersonal communications skills.
- Curious communicator who is interested in the subject matter and open to learning.
- Superannuation for Australian residents and citizens
- Flexible working hours
- Paid Christmas closedown
- 4-week’s annual leave
- Professional development support
Submit a short cover letter, CV and portfolio of work firstname.lastname@example.org